Professor in Nursing
The two Schools of Nursing and Midwifery in Chelmsford and Cambridgeshire offer a range of programmes in nursing and midwifery. The two schools were the first in England to offer nursing degree apprenticeships and one of the first to offer the nursing associate and assistant practitioner programmes, preparing students for a range of roles in an expanding local nursing and midwifery workforce. The faculty offers a range of post graduate taught programmes together with a suite of CPD modules and workshops in response to national priorities and needs of local provider organisations. The NMC has commended the schools on their collaboration with local NHS Trusts in Essex, Cambridgeshire, and Peterborough.
The faculty hosts the Clinical Entrepreneur Programme, which supports NHS staff with enterprising ideas to develop these further into services and products that will drive innovations in NHS provision. The Faculty and University are committed to growing research in nursing and midwifery practice and enhancing knowledge exchange partnerships with NHS Trusts. The Faculty of Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care aspires to create a Centre for Nursing and Midwifery Research with a significant and sustainable critical mass that will become the focus for research in a breadth of nursing and midwifery disciplines, internally and externally. This will require senior research academics who can lead research groups, increase research capacity in these areas and develop research and knowledge exchange projects and programmes with regional NHS Trusts. The appointment of a Chair / an Associate Professor in nursing is an important role that will form part of a growing team of leaders in nursing and Midwifery research.
Principal Accountabilities apply to both grades, unless otherwise indicated.
Grow research collaborations with academic Institutions, NHS Trusts, and other healthcare providers to expand and promote nurse-led research.
2. Develop relationships with relevant stakeholders in the academic, community and government sectors.
3. Represent our faculty and work actively and co-operatively with partners, external bodies, other faculties, and our support services to promote our reputation and foster collaborative links.
4. Take a leading role in the advancement of evidence-based policy and practice in nursing at national and international levels.
5. Develop and maintain a high profile in nursing research field by producing high quality peer review outputs and participation in key conferences and events.
6. Provide expert advice and information to the faculty, school and other stakeholders on research direction, themes and topics through direct engagement and membership of expert reference groups and boards.
7. Take an ambassadorial role to facilitate, establish and maintain productive research relationships with external stakeholders to identify and promote opportunities for research funding and collaboration in the UK and internationally.
8. Promote an internationalisation strategy, with active involvement in embedding a culture of engagement beyond academia.
9. Assist the Deputy Dean (Research and Innovation) in the development of the faculty and school research vision and Institutional strategic plan and help to play a key role in the Professoriate and other relevant committees and working groups.
10. Provide research leadership and vision and work towards developing the Research Centre in Nursing and Midwifery to become a leading critical mass of researchers that contributes to the faculty research environment and increases ARU’s national and international profile.
11. Support and mentor junior colleagues in research and knowledge exchange to work to high standards of integrity and quality.
12. Make a significant contribution to our faculty’s performance in the Research Excellence Framework through the management of research active staff (including PhD supervision ‘as appropriate’) to enable their research career development, which would include publishing research outputs in quality peer-reviewed journals and presenting findings at national and international conferences.
13. Comply with Data Protection Act 2018 and GDPR requirements in all working practices maintaining confidentiality, integrity, availability, accuracy, currency and security of information as appropriate. Take personal responsibility for all personal data within own working environment.
14. Such other duties temporarily or on a continuing basis, as may be reasonably required, commensurate with your grade.
This is a description of the job as it is presently constituted. It is normal practice to review periodically job descriptions to ensure that they are relevant to the job currently being performed and to incorporate any changes which have occurred or are being proposed. The review process is carried out jointly by manager and employee and you are therefore expected to participate fully in such discussions. In all cases, it is our aim to reach agreement to reasonable changes, but where it is not possible to reach agreement, we reserve the right to make reasonable changes to your job description which are commensurate with your grade after consultation with you.
Apply for this position
Please fill out the form below to register interest in this role