Associate Dean of Admissions
Berklee is the preeminent institute of contemporary music and the performing arts, offering undergraduate and graduate degree programs at its campuses in Boston, Massachusetts and Valencia, Spain, and through its award-winning distance learning program, Berklee Online. Dedicated to nurturing the creative and career potential of the world’s most inspired artists, Berklee’s commitment to arts education is reflected in the work of its students, faculty, and alumni—hundreds of whom have been recognized with Grammy, Tony, Oscar, and Emmy Awards.
At Berklee College of Music and Boston Conservatory at Berklee, students explore interdisciplinary approaches to music, dance, theater, film, business, healthcare, education, technology, and more. Our pioneering youth programs reach underserved classrooms throughout the U.S. and beyond. With students and alumni from more than 100 nations and educational partners across the world, we are forging new connections among art forms, musical traditions, and technologies to build a dynamic, diverse, and collaborative global arts community.
Under the broad direction of the Dean of Admissions, the Associate Dean will oversee domestic undergraduate and graduate admissions recruitment for both college and conservatory, and will execute on approved recruitment strategies designed to meet institutional enrollment objectives at the college and conservatory. This position will play a key role in directing both the admissions recruitment and business strategy for graduate and undergraduate programs at Berklee. The Associate Dean oversees the management and administration of the admissions recruitment budget and aligns annual and long-term Audition & Interview (A&I) planning to meet market demand while maximizing efficiency and budget spend. Works to continually refine recruitment strategy to ensure increased student quality, outstanding retention, and ability of students to thrive in specific degree programs and in their chosen profession. The Associate Dean will work closely with the Dean of Admissions, Vice President for Enrollment, and the recruitment leadership group to envision, plan, and execute on recruitment strategies and will play a key role in shaping Berklee’s incoming classes through their participation on Berklee’s Board of Admissions. Successful applicants will be data driven with an expert knowledge of recruitment best practices. Travel, weekend and evening work required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee domestic undergraduate and graduate admissions and recruiting processes and procedures;
- Supervise a full-time admissions staff of three Assistant Directors of Recruitment for Boston Conservatory at Berklee and one Associate Director of Admissions at Berklee College.
- Partners with the the Assistant Deans of Admissions in managing the recruitment teams and meeting enrollment goals for Berklee graduate and undergraduate programs.
- Serve as a key member of the enrollment management team in implementing an enrollment management plan that supports the mission and goals across the institution.
- Under the direction of the Dean of Admissions, will implement a strategic recruitment plan that is informed by an analysis of market and enrollment trends;
- Under the direction of the Dean of Admissions, collaborates with administrative and academic colleagues to set and meet enrollment goals;
- Work collaboratively with Admissions Management Team to set, plan for and meet Admissions recruitment goals and objectives, through the use of on and off campus and virtual events.
- Participate in interviewing prospective students.
- Works closely with the Dean to support the realization of recruitment strategies targeting specific target cohorts.
- Works closely with the Dean to manage on-going development of training programs for recruitment faculty and staff.
- Manages the ongoing outreach to academic division deans, and instrumental and major department chairs to ensure accurate representation of curriculum by staff
- Manages ongoing review and improvement of customer service standards vis-a-vis counseling and case-load management
- Represents Admissions at various pan-college committees as determined by the Dean.
Knowledge and Skills Required
- An undergraduate degree is required. A minimum of seven years of progressive experience in admissions and higher education management or equivalent.
- A demonstrated record of successful management experience, including process development, implementation and project management skills.
- Ability to develop and manage client relationships resulting in superior customer service.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral); ability to work effectively with a diverse client base; strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to lead, motivate and supervise a team of talented recruitment professionals.
- A strong knowledge of current technology, including use of CRM systems and experience in data-driven decision-making.
- Strong organizational skills including strong analytical skills/judgment.
- A collaborative approach to decision-making with an approachable and personable style.
- Performing arts background and knowledge required.
- A high degree of professional maturity, creativity and energy required.
SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS, PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS, ETC. (Responsible for on-call, 24 HR. coverage, etc.):
This position requires periodic late night and weekend work hours to accommodate staff training needs, recruitment efforts, and audition and interview travel.
This position oversees a staff of 4 who are responsible for providing an applicant experience that exceeds industry standards. This requires a high level of engagement to ensure they are motivated, supported and balance their time appropriately.
Apply for this position
Please fill out the form below to register interest in this role