Head of (SITS) Student Systems Team
The recently created Academic Registry led by the Academic Registrar has responsibility for designing and delivering a University-wide student administration which enables all students to achieve at their highest level. The Academic Registrar and their teams deliver the underpinning architecture for teaching and learning provision within the University. At the same time this professional service provides advice and guidance on all matters of student administration including systems and processes, appeals complaints and conduct and has a regulatory relationship with bodies as diverse as Student Finance England, QAA, OIAHE, Ofsted and OfS. As it continues to establish itself, the Academic Registry is likely to be increasingly at the centre of institutional change. We will be working closely with other stakeholders to ensure efficient and effective process design and workflow, quality data and management information across the areas where we are accountable. Strategic direction and judgements about value for the organisation will be driven from our work.
Reporting to the Academic Registrar, this post and the Team that it leads is new to Academic Registry and responsible for the leadership and management of the evolving SITS Team within the University. The SITS Team itself is well-embedded and vital to our University undertaking development, business analysis, business readiness training, service support and maintenance. The work of the Team aims to maximise the effectiveness of SITS to underpin a student’s academic career cycle from admissions through to graduation.
The Head of (SITS) Student Systems will work closely with the Head of Business Process and Design, the Head of Registry and Heads of Faculty Operations in support of students and academic endeavour. You will want to contribute to a developing Strategic Roadmap for the roll-out of new functionality whilst ensuring operational excellence: rollover, upgrades, configuration, maintenance, reporting.
The post holder is responsible for ensuring that the SITS Service provides both utility and warranty throughout its entire lifecycle. Leading and managing a high-quality user-centered set of activities: Driving service improvement, managing risk to reputation, steering all aspects of processes within their remit. This includes strong people management and stakeholder management experience.
The post holder will be responsible to the Systems Owner for the overall management of the SITS function and should come with a track record in systems management and enhancement, in a digital-services setting, preferably with a strong understanding of Public Sector organisations, ideally Higher Education.
Responsible for implementing consistent practices and processes across the team, the Head of Registry will work closely with the Head of Service, Process Design a peer within the Academic Registry, as well as Customer Services leaders in the organisation to ensure a seamless service always aiming for excellence.
The post holder will:
- Provide leadership and management to the SITS Team enabling colleagues to be developed, trained and supported to deliver an excellent customer focussed service which is consistent, effective, efficient and ensures that the service remains fit for purpose and fit for use.
- Contribute to planning the strategic direction of the Academic Registry and its integration with key areas of University business.
- Support and provide counsel to the Academic Registrar, occasionally deputising where appropriate institutionally or within the Sector.
- Engage on a national level with sector wide peers, suppliers and relevant organisations to support the ongoing development of the service
- Be the central source of professional expertise to staff on matters relating to the capabilities of the product.
- Resolve problems where there is a lack of precedent. This will require creativity, innovative thinking, pragmatism and a risk-based approach to problem solving.
- Draft transparent, fit for purpose policy documents and SOPS.
- Create, lead and participate in fora which take forward the strategic goals of the University.
- Advocate for SITS interconnectivity and enhancements within the remit.
- In conjunction with Head of Business Process Design identify and introduce new initiatives and changes to processes and
- Ensure Service Level Agreements are met
- Ensure the robustness and evaluate statistical and technical information and analysis to support decision making within the department and elsewhere.
- Work closely with Faculty Heads of Operations to ensure effective, integrated working practices and understanding between the Team and the wider university
Apply for this position
Please fill out the form below to register interest in this role