Head of Library Academic Engagement
Management and Leadership
- As a member of the Library Services Senior Leadership Team, play a key role in the development, delivery and impact assessment of the Department’s strategic aims.
- Lead, manage, support and develop the Library’s Academic Engagement Team to deliver the Department’s strategic objectives in line with Library Services values.
- Lead the team in the delivery, evaluation and continuous improvement of high quality services, ensuring that they meet and exceed user expectations through developing service standards and KPIs and monitoring service performance and impact in collaboration with other Library Services teams.
- Deputise for the Director of Library and Professional Administrative Services as required and represent the service on designated university and external committees and working groups.
- Proactively advise and provide expertise and leadership to the University in the areas of work that the team engage in, including Information Literacy and Learner Journeys, Study Skills, service and resource provision to partnership students and staff, and engaging with students as partners.
- Work closely with other library teams, particularly the Hive Library Manager, proactively looking for cross-departmental opportunities to align teams and services and build strong working relationships, (the current focus is around staff development and training, and EDI initiatives).
Liaison and Engagement
- Maintain and enhance close and effective links with students and professional and academic staff, supporting the team to work in partnership with them to co-design, develop and evaluate services that meet the learning and teaching needs of the academic community.
- Work closely with the Hive Library Manager and liaise with other WCC Library Managers to oversee and develop a comprehensive library enquiries service to both University and community library users, which fits with and enhances the work of the AE team’s members.
- Work closely with members of the University’s academic community and professional services and WCC Libraries Service Development Manager to support and develop services and activities that enhance public engagement.
- Chair the Library Services Communications group to ensure regular and effective communications of library activity to all customer groups, liaising with other University departments and WCC Libraries as appropriate.
Information and Digital Literacy and learner development
- Continue to develop, embed and evaluate a clear policy and programme of scalable library teaching and support for on- and off-campus-based students and learners at all levels and stages of their learner journey, including those transitioning into HE, integrated in or aligned to the curriculum and delivered face to face and online as appropriate.
- Liaise with other University Departments to lead on the maintenance, monitoring and development of a suite of study skills resources for students including the Study Skills website.
- Support the team to provide pedagogically sound advice to academics on good practice in the development and use of reading lists, and have oversight of the library reading resources available to students.
Advocacy and Other
- Keep abreast of developments and good practice which enhance and support learning and teaching and research and provide advice to colleagues and senior management on the potential implications of those developments to the University.
- Lead a culture of personal development in the team – contribute to current discussions in the field and engage with relevant national networks and professional bodies. This will include the sharing of practice at conferences and similar events, publications and other routes such as social media.
- Lead and manage projects and undertake research with a variety of stakeholders within and beyond the University, exploring, evaluating and prioritising innovative approaches to service delivery in order that they continue to meet University requirements.
Maintain personal and professional development to meet the changing demands of the job, participate in appropriate training activities and encourage and support staff in their development and training.
Take steps to ensure and enhance your health, safety and well-being and that of staff and students. Carry out your duties in a manner that promotes equality of opportunity and supports diversity and inclusion and takes into account the University’s commitment to environmentally sustainable ways of working.
*The above does not represent an exhaustive list of duties associated with this role.
Apply for this position
Please fill out the form below to register interest in this role