Data and Business Intelligence Architect
Working within the Strategic Insights and Planning team, the role is responsible for implementing the University’s Business Analytics Strategy and Roadmap (BASR) by developing services, tools and resources that transform the business analytics capability of the University. The Business Analytics Strategy is a new initiative which has support at the Vice-Chancellor’s Executive level. This role is central to advancing the transformational business analytics programme by implementing the strategy both as a complete reporting and analytics service from SIP and by developing a community of excellence (CoE) and Data Analytics Community of Practice (DACoP) at the University of Derby.
- Lead the initial establishment and roll-out of the Business Analytics Strategy and Roadmap (BASR), ensuring business analytics programme goals are realised and support the review of the business analytics strategy objectives and approach.
- Work with colleagues and stakeholders across the University to establish and provide ongoing leadership for an Analytics Centre of Excellence (CoE) and Data Analytics Community of Practice (DACoP) which defines and supports a consistent approach to defining, developing and delivering analytics embedded through a hub and spoke model.
- Work closely with Professional Service (PS) Heads to ensure that DACoP initiatives and coordinated production activities align with PS unit priorities.
- Define and embed the longer-term roadmap and data strategy, establishing appropriate data governance and data management arrangements and developing plans for continuous improvement.
- Work with IT Services to identify, develop and document new types and sources of data to enable business innovation and strategic insights, reviewing and amending these in response to changing business need.
- Work with IT Services to define the data infrastructure and data sources suitable for the data analytics programme and delivery of outputs.
- Develop and maintain key documentation for business analytics reporting tools, user interface/interaction and design standards, for use by practitioners across all Professional Services.
- Advise Professional Services on options for developing and publishing reports and analytics which support strategic decision making and insight driven planning activities.
- Work closely with DACoP to ensure coordinated delivery and support for Colleges, end users, analysts and Professional Services through a highly visible, impactful and valued analytics service aligned with University strategic priorities.
- Maintain an external network to support DACoP members’ professional development. Share opportunities for training and development and ensure an upward skill trajectory and capability.
- Work with the DACoP to ensure analytics and reporting are consistent and accurate, promoting the benefits of high-quality data and reporting to realise effective decision making and efficiencies in the business and establishing processes for timely update and correction of data.
- Define, manage and advance data governance by establishing best practice principles, policies and programs for data stewardship, advocacy and custodianship of data, reporting and analytics.
- Work with IT Services to assess suitable technologies and make them available, ensuring the availability of a suitable suite of reporting tools which are appropriate to a range of user requirements and evaluating data and technical architectures to increase efficiency, reduce costs and manage complexity.
- Work with IT Services to manage key vendors (e.g. Tableau, The Information Lab) for license renewal and services and consultancy support, overseeing the portfolio of user licences to facilitate the roll out of the strategy.
- Degree in a relevant subject area or relevant sector experience
- A postgraduate qualification in a relevant subject area or relevant sector experience
- Experience and understanding of HE data
- Setting up and leading a Community of Practice and Centre of Excellence for analytics and reporting
- Influencing senior business stakeholders
- Technical coaching, mentoring and training
- Implementing business analytic solutions to support delivery of strategic aims
- Results orientated with a proven track record of leading and delivering data transformation initiatives
Skills, knowledge and abilities
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate, negotiate and influence effectively with a range of stakeholders
- Experience of project management methodologies and evidence of leading successful relevant projects
- High level of proficiency across multiple data analytics tools (e.g. Tableau, CognosBI, Alteryx, PowerBI)
- Experience of business intelligence and analytics including data source and reporting development
- Practical knowledge of best practice data infrastructure solutionsDesirable
- Process mapping skills, and understanding of Lean methodology and continuous process improvement
- Experience of Change Management delivery
Apply for this position
Please fill out the form below to register interest in this role