College Careers Partner
Working strategically with Colleges and Schools, you will lead, manage and develop a team of Careers Coaches and Careers Advisors linked to academic disciplines and teams. You will develop and coordinate a range of careers and employability activities, determined by data analysis, to improve the employability and graduate outcomes of students. You’ll be key to enabling Colleges and the Schools to achieve their employability KPIs and Institutional Success Measures (ISMs).
You will be required to support senior colleagues to develop and ensure that appropriate working partnerships are in place with internal and external stakeholders and conducive to the effective realisation of the College’s strategic aspirations in relation to the delivery of employability, graduate outcomes and the student experience.
- Lead, manage and develop a team of Careers Coaches and Careers Advisors linked to academic disciplines and teams.
- Work with the Head of Careers and Student Enterprise to establish systems and procedures to deliver significant growth in high quality, impactful work experience, volunteering and live briefs in curriculum and extra-curricula, as required for the Learning and Teaching Strategy and employability.
- Collaborate to design services, including online and hybrid service, to map the student and graduate employability journey and develop innovative practice to engage all students, making effective use of data including indicators for social mobility to design, implement and evaluate interventions to narrow gaps in engagement and success.
- Work collaboratively with College partners to deliver high quality careers support, aligned to business requirements that drives up the Graduate Outcomes highly skilled employed/further study destination.
- To provide advice and guidance to University colleagues within designated College portfolio on key issues concerning careers, employability, work experience and graduate destinations.
- Deliver high-quality diagnostics, interventions and solutions, enabling portfolio areas to effectively meet University targets, specifically focused on Graduate Outcomes.
- Work with portfolio areas to interpret, articulate and deliver support intervention and requirements for the short, medium and longer term.
- To support academic Schools within the Colleges in carrying out employability and graduate destinations audits and devising and implementing key operational priorities and action plans.
- To contribute to the development, implementation, evaluation and monitoring of the Careers Service’s strategy, policies and procedures relating to careers, employability and other relevant strategies as required.
- Develop and assure the quality of extra curricula employability programmes, including the Futures Award.
- Lead collaboratively with the Employer & Community Engagement Manager and contribute to relationship management with employers and charities.
- Build professional networks internally and externally and develop expertise in the student and graduate experience, engagement, value for money, social mobility and the transformational impact of Higher Education.
- Establish and maintain sector knowledge. Share knowledge, encourage new ideas and appropriate response to emerging external requirements.
- Work with the CSL Leadership team to manage resources to deliver best value. To manage budgets related to careers and employability matters and to prioritise resource provision in line with the strategic objectives of the Careers and Employment Service and institution.
- To be accountable for implementation of plans, achievement of targets and standards and evaluating practice.
- To work with relevant colleagues to develop and implement strategies to enhance our offer to widening participation students, international students and postgraduates in the Colleges.
- To develop appropriate marketing and communication strategies to promote provision to students in the Colleges.
- Build the capability of leaders and managers through coaching and appropriate interventions to consistently raise the bar on performance. To embed a performance culture within the team and support this across the Careers and Employment Service.
- To contribute to the operational planning, visions and values of the Careers and Employment Service and its wider remit as and when required.
- To support colleagues in establishing and maintaining the University’s reputation and profile nationally (and internationally where appropriate) on issues relating to employability, and to contribute to the development of KPIs/ISMs where appropriate so that the University can be seen as a leader exemplifying best practice, sharing it as appropriate and learning from the experience of others.
- To liaise and develop partnerships with employers, alumni and professional bodies to gain support for employability activities aimed at students and recent graduates.
- To address developments on a national level around careers and employability activity, contributing to national and regional workshops, conferences, projects and publications.
- To promote a culture of excellent customer service throughout the College Careers Team and support this across the Careers and Employment Service and the Centre.
- To support the wider University, Centre and Careers and Employment Service’s aims, working with the Senior Management Team of the Careers and Employment Service and other appropriate University colleagues on matters of strategic importance.
- Educated to degree level and/or have a relevant professional qualification, including membership of relevant professional bodies.
- Experience of successfully leading and implementing service plans and monitoring performance against targets/standards. Demonstrable experience of policy development and implementation.
- Excellent understanding of the student and graduate experience, and significant experience in designing solutions which meet student/client needs in a Higher Education setting. Evidence of experience of working in a customer-focused environment and delivering exceptional customer service to stakeholders.
- Experience of marketing services, increasing engagement and making effective use of innovative communication methods, including social media
- Experience of leadership within higher education, graduate recruitment or related fields, including management of staff and resources.Previous experience of working within, or an in-depth knowledge of at least one of the sectors relevant to the Colleges is preferred but not essential.
- Knowledge and understanding of services and strategies designed to improve the skills, employability and career development of university students and new graduates.Commitment to outstanding customer service, inspiring and innovative delivery and continuous quality improvement.
- Significant experience of effective liaison and networking, and the building of successful working relationships within institutions and externally. Ability to work collaboratively across organisational boundaries, with the capacity to be a constructive team player. Ability to represent the University externally.
- Excellent commercial acumen, knowledge and understanding of HE labour markets and recruitment practices.
Skills, knowledge & abilities
- Excellent leadership, team building and decision-making skills combined with the ability to motivate staff within an ethos of individual and collective responsibility for actions and exemplary service delivery. Evidence of setting and achieving clear objectives and performance goals and ability to manage projects and operations within budget.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and influencing skills with the ability to liaise effectively at all levels within an institution and externally. Strong negotiation and persuasion skills.
- The ability to analyse data and set appropriate performance measures and targets. Strong project management skills within a demanding environment. Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of how IT systems can support and enhance service delivery.
- Knowledge and understanding of the quality standards and external requirements relevant to the role, including Office for Students and Higher Education Statistics Agency.
- Ability to develop and manage plans of work within the context of the Careers Service’s strategy in support of the University’s overall aims.Ability to generate new ideas and support change management. Demonstrable experience of delivering positive impact.
As well as competitive pay scales, we offer generous holiday entitlement. We also offer opportunities for further salary progression based on performance, and the opportunity to join a contributory pension scheme.
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications.
We recommend you take time to read the government guidance on individual eligibility requirements for sponsorship to check you will meet the criteria prior to applying. Skilled Worker visa: Your job – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk).
If you have any questions regarding sponsorship please contact HRUKVI@derby.ac.uk.
Our number one priority is to keep our staff, students and community safe as we continue to work through the pandemic. Upon appointment, full training will be given on the Health and Safety processes we follow.
Find out how we are ensuring the safety of our staff, students and community
Apply for this position
Please fill out the form below to register interest in this role