Capital Projects Manager
Harper Adams University is the leading UK Higher Education (HE) institution focused on the land-based and food supply-chain sectors with an important national role in these subject areas.
Situated on a single campus in rural and scenic Shropshire, the University, and its surrounding area, provide an excellent working and living environment for staff and students alike, yet the University campus is only one hour from the UK’s second city of Birmingham. Around 3,000 HE students attend the University, primarily on sandwich courses which include a year-long industrial placement. Undergraduate and postgraduate degrees are offered. The University also welcomes individuals who wish to undertake CPD or similar professional training to support their careers in the agri-food chain and rural industries.
The Estates and Facilities Department provides a number of essential services to Harper Adams University and is responsible for managing, maintaining and developing the infrastructure and building fabric of the campus and outlying properties, including:
- Undertaking and regularly reviewing a maintenance programme which takes account of short, medium and long term needs of all estate’s buildings and infrastructure.
- Implementing planned maintenance works identified and funded within the various maintenance programmes as well as providing reactive maintenance dealing with day-to day requirements, including the provision of an out-of-hours emergency service.
- Providing a professional, technical service to the University for the design, construction and procurement of capital projects including new buildings, refurbishment/ re-modelling of existing buildings and demolitions.
- Identifying and recording the use of space and advising on ways of increasing space utilisation.
- Procuring and managing utilities and services.
- The delivery of a wide-range of customer-facing services, including: estates maintenance services, capital development, environment and sustainability management, housekeeping and laundry services, reception, security, portering and postal services.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Working with the University Senior Leadership Team and the Head of Estates and Facilities, take responsibility for developing and delivering the capital development 10-year estates strategy to support the University’s strategic priorities, ensuring that the strategy is affordable, achievable and deliverable within realistic timescales.
- Lead and take overall responsibility for the effective end to end delivery of capital projects using internal and external resources and expertise in-line with best practice to ensure projects are managed effectively and delivered in-line with approved budgets.
- Take overall responsibility for the effective procurement and management of external consultants and surveyors required to deliver capital projects to see that they meet the University’s requirements in terms of programme, budget and brief.
- Take overall responsibility for the procurement, negotiation and management of external contracts for services relating to project delivery ensuring that such contracts are delivered to agreed standards of service and remain cost effective.
- To be responsible for the preparation of external capital funding applications.
- Provide or arrange for robust professional advice in the planning, programming, briefing and budgeting of capital projects at feasibility stage, providing considered option appraisals with reasoned recommendations.
- Be responsible for and manage the client brief for capital works including preparation, sign-off and ongoing change control. See that brief is effectively delivered by the works.
- Prepare business cases for capital projects, collaborating with Academic or Service Department Heads, managing the decision-making process with the University Senior Leadership Team.
- Be responsible for the management, control and reporting of expenditure and forecasted costs against agreed capital budgets including professional fees, contractors and direct suppliers. Provide regular reports to the University Finance team.
- Working with the University Engineer and the Environment and Sustainability Manager ensure that the University’s sustainability targets are supported and promoted with any new capital developments. Provide forecasts of energy consumption, water usage and carbon emissions for any new substantial capital works.
- Ensure that ongoing maintenance and facilities operational considerations are considered in the specification, design and implementation of any capital works.
- Agree requirements for capital projects with the University insurers, making sure any such requirements are included in the designs and specification. Make sure that University insurers are notified of key contract dates.
- Develop and agree the site logistics arrangements for capital works with relevant stakeholders across the University.
- Be responsible for the collation and issue of pre-construction health and safety information and the client health and safety brief to principal designer and the designers.
- Ensure that legal client duties of the Construction (Design Management) Regulations 2015 are met and that designers, principal designers and principal contractors are fulfilling their obligations.
- Lead on University comments & approvals of reviewable design data provided by consultants & contractors to ensure that the client requirements are being met.
- Manage all client direct contracts associated with capital works, coordinating this with the main works to meet the project programme.
- Set up methods for inspection & checking of construction workmanship and materials.
- Manage payments to suppliers, consultants and contractors on capital projects seeing that payments are properly due and paid by the due dates.
- Manage handover of the capital works following commissioning of all services ensuring that necessary certificates, notifications and statutory approvals are in place
- Be responsible for the reporting and resolution of any latent defects including engaging and liaison with lawyers in the event that disputes require legal action.
- Participate in continuing professional development, keeping a detailed log of all training courses undertaken and retaining certificates to be able to evidence development upon reasonable request.
- Maintain positive and regular close working with Estate and Facilities colleagues, working collaboratively to manage effective service delivery.
- Provide line management and supervision for the Clerk of Works, Space Manager and CAD Technician.
- All other duties and responsibilities commensurate with the post and the salary range of the grade.
- Be legal to drive University vehicles.
- Attend all training and development, as required.
Apply for this position
Please fill out the form below to register interest in this role