Associate Professor – Strategy & Enterprise
We are seeking to appoint an Associate Professor in Strategy and/or Enterprise. The successful candidate will contribute to the development and delivery of innovative and leading-edge education and research programmes in Strategy and/or Enterprise area. We are open to applications for candidates from the broad range of sub-disciplines within the subject areas of Strategy and Enterprise. We are seeking to appoint an individual with a track record in developing and managing postgraduate and executive-level programmes, combined with an experience in engaging with industry, commerce and policy makers. The position also offers significant strategic development opportunities in relation to knowledge exchange, executive education and industry-focused research.
About Edinburgh Business School
Edinburgh Business School, part of School of Social Sciences, one of five academic schools at Heriot-Watt University, has a strong presence in the University’s international campuses in Edinburgh, Dubai and Malaysia.
The Edinburgh Business School comprises seven academic disciplines: Accounting, Economics, Finance, Marketing, Human Resource Management and Law, Operations Management and Logistics, and Strategy and Enterprises. The wider School of Social Sciences is also the home for departments of Psychology as well as Languages and Intercultural Studies.
Our research in business and management benefits from interdisciplinary collaboration both within the School and across other key areas of expertise in the University and beyond, including industry and commerce.
About Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University has five campuses: three in the UK (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders and Orkney), one in Dubai and one in Malaysia. The University offers a highly distinctive range of degree programmes in the specialist areas of science, engineering, design, business and languages.
With a history dating back to 1821, Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research, which has made it one of the top UK universities for business and industry. We connect with industry at every level and develop programmes to match their needs – so employers get work-ready industry-fit graduates.
Heriot-Watt is also Scotland’s most international university, boasting the largest international student cohort.
We have an established set of values that help us to nurture innovation and leadership, and show our commitment to continuous improvement and development in all our activities.
Key duties and responsibilities
The post holder is required to:
Learning and Teaching
- Provide leadership in the planning, organisation and development of learning and teaching activities in the subject area.
- Lead and participate in the design, development and delivery of a range of programmes at various levels.
- Review on a regular basis programme and course content and materials, updating when required.
- Lead the development and application of innovative and appropriate teaching techniques and material, which create interest, understanding and enthusiasm amongst students.
- Ensure that course design and delivery comply with the quality standards and regulations of the University and School/Institute.
Research and Scholarship
- Working with the appropriate research centres lead the development and implementation of research and scholarship strategy within the subject area.
- Lead and co-ordinate research and scholarship activities in the subject across the University.
- Lead collaborative partnerships with other educational institutions or other bodies.
- Lead collaborative University bids for scholarship, consultancy and other additional funds, including partnerships with other Schools or institutions.
- Make presentations or exhibitions at international conferences and other similar events, demonstrating evidence of esteem within the subject (e.g., through personal invitations to speak or present).
- Demonstrate leadership in scholarship, knowledge exchange and consultancy.
Communication, problem solving and decision making
- Be routinely involved in complex and important negotiations internally and with external bodies.
- Contribute to the communication of the wider University strategy within the School/Institute.
- Act as the final arbiter in local disputes.
- Initiate new and original solutions to problems.
Collaboration and Networking
- Chair and participate on internal committees and participate in University decision making and governance.
- Take a leading role in senior external groups, (e.g., committees in learned societies or professional institutions, editorial boards, organising committees of international conferences, research council panels or government advisory groups).
- Lead and develop internal and external networks to foster collaboration and share information and ideas and to promote the subject and the University.
- Promote and market the work of the School/Institute in the subject area both nationally and internationally.
- Provide advice to external bodies.
Planning, Managing People and Resources
- Exercise academic leadership for all subject area teaching and research activities.
- Act as line manager for matters relating to the employment of staff and ensuring the work is allocated fairly, according to skills and capacity.
- Ensure that staff are suitably qualified to work within their own area.
- Appraise and advise staff on personal and career development plans.
- Make overall responsibility for the organising and deployment of resources within own areas of responsibility.
- Contribute to University planning and strategic development.
Please note this job description is not exhaustive, and the role holder may be required to undertake other relevant duties commensurate with the grading of the post. Activities may be subject to amendment over time as the role develops and/or priorities and requirements evolve
Education, qualifications and experience
The successful candidate should have:
- A PhD in the relevant field.
- Possess sufficient breadth and depth of specialist knowledge in the discipline to provide leadership learning, research, portfolio development and industry engagement.
- Proven track record in engaged research and scholarship
- Demonstrable capability in engaging and enthusing students at all levels – undergraduate, post graduate and post-experience
- Proven track-record of working in a Higher Education
Apply for this position
Please fill out the form below to register interest in this role