Associate Professor in Human Resource Management
Edinburgh Business School, part of the School of Social Sciences, one of five academic schools at Heriot-Watt University, has a strong presence in the University’s international campuses in Edinburgh, Dubai and Malaysia.
The Edinburgh Business School comprises seven academic disciplines: Accounting, Economics, Finance, Marketing, Human Resource Management and Law, Operations Management and Logistics, and Strategy and Enterprises. The wider School of Social Sciences is also the home for departments of Psychology as well as Languages and Intercultural Studies.
The Edinburgh Business School is also renowned for research coordinated by the Centres for Logistics & Sustainability; Social & Economic Data Analytics; Networks and Enterprise Excellence; and Employment, Work and the Professions. Our research in business and management benefits from interdisciplinary collaboration both within the School and across other key areas of expertise in the University and beyond, including industry and commerce
We are seeking to appoint an Associate Professor in Human Resource Management. The successful candidate will have a strong track record in inter-disciplinary research within the field of HRM and be able to demonstrate a track record in attracting funding and publishing in internationally leading journals as well as successfully supporting PhD students to completion. The role will work closely with Director of the Centre for Research in Employment, Work and the Professions (CREWS) to develop additional HRM specialisms and deliver high-impact research outputs. In addition, the successful candidate will develop and deliver innovative and leading-edge education in Human Resource Management and will support our plans to grow our Executive Education, consultancy and knowledge exchange activities in the areas of Diversity & inclusion, sustainable HRM and other related topics.
The post holder is required to:
Learning and Teaching
- Provide leadership in the planning, organisation and development of learning and teaching activities in the subject area.
- Lead and participate in the design, development and delivery of a range of programmes at various levels.
- Review on a regular basis programme and course content and materials, updating when required.
- Lead the development and application of innovative and appropriate teaching techniques and material, which create interest, understanding and enthusiasm amongst students.
- Ensure that course design and delivery comply with the quality standards and regulations of the University and School/Institute.
Research and Scholarship
- Working with the appropriate research centre lead the development and implementation of research and scholarship strategy within the subject area.
- Lead and co-ordinate research and scholarship activities in the subject across the University.
- Lead collaborative partnerships with other educational institutions or other bodies.
- Lead collaborative University bids for scholarship, consultancy and other additional funds, including partnerships with other Schools or institutions.
- Make presentations or exhibitions at international conferences and other similar events, demonstrating evidence of esteem within the subject (e.g., through personal invitations to speak or present).
- Demonstrate leadership in scholarship, knowledge exchange and consultancy.
Communication, problem solving and decision making
- Contribute to the communication of the wider University strategy within the School/Institute.
- Initiate new and original solutions to problems.
Collaboration and Networking
- Chair and participate on internal committees and participate in University decision making and governance.
- Take a leading role in senior external groups, (e.g., committees in learned societies or professional institutions, editorial boards, organising committees of international conferences, research council panels or government advisory groups).
- Lead and develop internal and external networks to foster collaboration and share information and ideas and to promote the subject and the University.
- Promote and market the work of the School/Institute in the subject area both nationally and internationally.
- Provide advice to external bodies.
Planning, Managing People and Resources
- Exercise academic leadership for all subject area teaching and research activities.
- Contribute to University planning and strategic development.
Please note this job description is not exhaustive, and the role holder may be required to undertake other relevant duties commensurate with the grading of the post. Activities may be subject to amendment over time as the role develops and/or priorities and requirements evolve.
The successful candidate should have:
- A PhD in the relevant field.
- Possess sufficient breadth and depth of specialist knowledge in the discipline to provide leadership learning, research, portfolio development and industry engagement.
- Proven track record in engaged research and scholarship
- Demonstrable capability in engaging and enthusing students at all levels – undergraduate, post graduate and post-experience
- Proven track-record of working in a Higher Education
How to apply: Closing date is Midnight on the 26th of June 2022. This is a Grade 9 position, salary £51,800 to £60,022.
Heriot-Watt University is committed to securing equality of opportunity in employment and to the creation of an environment in which individuals are selected, trained, promoted, appraised and otherwise treated on the sole basis of their relevant merits and abilities. Equality and diversity are all about maximising potential and creating a culture of inclusion for all.
Heriot-Watt University values diversity across our University community and welcomes applications from all sectors of society, particularly from underrepresented groups. For more information, please see our website https://www.hw.ac.uk/uk/services/equality-diversity.htm and also our award-winning work in Disability Inclusive Science Careers https://disc.hw.ac.uk/ .
We welcome and will consider flexible working patterns e.g. part-time working and job share options.
Use our total rewards calculator: https://www.hw.ac.uk/about/work/total-rewards-calculator.htm to see the value of benefits provided by Heriot-Watt University.
Apply for this position
Please fill out the form below to register interest in this role