Assistant Professor of Accountancy
Heriot-Watt is Scotland’s most international university, boasting the largest international student cohort. We are seeking to appoint an Assistant Professor to Edinburgh Business School in the School of Social Sciences to support the Accountancy subject area. The post holder will provide academic expertise in Accountancy. The post is a Grade 8, salary range £42,149 to £50,296.
Heriot-Watt University has five campuses: three in the UK (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders and Orkney), one in Dubai and one in Malaysia. The University offers a highly distinctive range of degree programmes in the specialist areas of science, engineering, design, business and languages. With a history dating back to 1821, Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research, which has made it one of the top UK universities for business and industry. We connect with industry at every level and develop programmes to match their needs – so employers get work-ready industry-fit graduates.
We have an established set of values that help us to nurture innovation and leadership, and show our commitment to continuous improvement and development in all our activities.
For full details on our University please view our Careers website at Heriot-Watt http://www.hw.ac.uk/about/careers-at-heriot-watt.htm
We are seeking to appoint an Assistant Professor to Edinburgh Business School in the School of Social Sciences to support the Accountancy subject area. The post holder will provide academic expertise in Accountancy. The post is a Grade 8, salary range £42,149 to £50,296.
Edinburgh Business School, part of School of Social Sciences, one of five academic schools at Heriot-Watt University, has a strong presence in the University’s international campuses in Edinburgh, Dubai and Malaysia. The Edinburgh Business School comprises seven academic disciplines: Accounting, Economics, Finance, Marketing, Human Resource Management and Law, Operations Management and Logistics, and Strategy and Enterprises. The wider School of Social Sciences is also the home for departments of Psychology as well as Languages and Intercultural Studies.
Our research in Accountancy benefits from interdisciplinary collaboration both within the School and across other key areas of expertise in the University and beyond, including industry and commerce. Our staff are members and contribute actively to Centre for Research in Employment, Work and Professions (CREWS) and Research Centre for Social and Economic Data Analytics (CSEDA).
Key duties & responsibilities:
- Design and undertake teaching in a developing capacity in a variety of settings from small group tutorials to large lectures, to support the delivery of Heriot-Watt University’s aims. As module leader or tutor, co-ordinate with others (such as support staff or academic colleagues) to ensure student needs and expectations are met. Willingness to participate in delivery of Graduate Apprenticeship courses is desirable.
- Extend, transform and apply knowledge acquired from scholarship to teaching, research and appropriate external activities. This includes commitment to supporting student study by identifying learning needs of students and defining appropriate learning objectives and ensuring content, methods of delivery and learning materials will meet these. Planning, authoring and designing (and revising) new course material as part of the School’s teaching programmes, and make proposals as to how this could be achieved. Sole responsibility for the design and delivery of their own modules and assessment methods. Challenge thinking, foster debate and develop the ability of students to engage in critical discourse and rational thinking.
- Develop research objectives and proposals for own or joint research and conduct individual and collaborative research projects, with a commitment to participate in collaborative research. Author and submit research proposals to suitable funding organisations. Prepare proposals and applications to external bodies e.g. for funding and accreditation purposes. Plan and manage research activity, taking responsibility for developing an appropriate programme of research and obtaining the resources required for its implementation. Disseminate results of research in peer reviewed journals and conferences, and/or through other appropriate media. Make presentations at conferences or exhibit work at other appropriate events, and participate in peer review as an individual reviewer.
- Supervise Research Students/Research Associates as appropriate.
- Develop internal and external networks, for example to identify sources of funding, increase student recruitment, market Heriot-Watt University, generate income and obtain consultancy projects.
- Supervise the work of students, providing advice on study skills and help them with learning problems. Select appropriate assessment methods, assess the work and progress of students on this basis and provide constructive feedback to students.
- Provide pastoral support with sensitive issues concerning students, and recognise when further help may be required.
- Continually update knowledge and understanding in their field or specialism and translate knowledge advances in the subject area into the course of study. Undertake continuous professional development (CPD) and participate in staff development activities.
- Participate and lead internal and external committees, for example teaching groups, examination boards, progression boards etc. Also, the role holder will be required to contribute to administration within the School. Collaborate with academic colleagues on course development, curriculum changes and other strategic issues such as student recruitment and marketing.
Please note this job description is not exhaustive, and the role holder may be required to undertake other relevant duties commensurate with the grading of the post. Activities may be subject to amendment over time as the role develops and/or priorities and requirements evolve
Education, qualifications & experience:
- Possess sufficient breadth and depth of specialist knowledge in the discipline to develop courses and subject streams and an appropriate programme of research.
- Ability to use a range of delivery techniques to enthuse and engage students.
- Experience of working in a Higher Education or similar environment.
- Experience of working in a multicultural environment.
- A publication record/pipeline and research background in related subjects to this post is desirable.
- A very good Undergraduate, Postgraduate Degree and PhD are desirable.
- A chartered accountant or private/public sector experience in accountancy are desirable.
How to Apply
Applications can be submitted up to midnight (UK time) on 29th November 2021. The post is a Grade 8, salary range £42,149 to £50,296.
When applying for this role please include in the CV your publications list, teaching experience, research funding experience/success and the names and contact details for three referees.
Heriot-Watt University is committed to securing equality of opportunity in employment and to the creation of an environment in which individuals are selected, trained, promoted, appraised and otherwise treated on the sole basis of their relevant merits and abilities. Equality and diversity are all about maximising potential and creating a culture of inclusion for all.
Heriot-Watt University values diversity across our University community and welcomes applications from all sectors of society, particularly from underrepresented groups. For more information, please see our website https://www.hw.ac.uk/uk/services/equality-diversity.htm and also our award-winning work in Disability Inclusive Science Careers https://disc.hw.ac.uk/
We welcome and will consider flexible working patterns e.g. part-time working and job share options.
Use our total rewards calculator: https://www.hw.ac.uk/about/work/total-rewards-calculator.htm to see the value of benefits provided by Heriot-Watt University.
Apply for this position
Please fill out the form below to register interest in this role