Assistant Professor in Organisational Behaviour and Human Resource Management
Edinburgh Business School, part of School of Social Sciences, one of five academic schools at Heriot-Watt University, has a strong presence in the University’s international campuses in Edinburgh, Dubai and Malaysia.
The Edinburgh Business School comprises seven academic disciplines: Accounting, Economics, Finance, Marketing, Human Resource Management and Law, Operations Management and Logistics, and Strategy and Enterprises. The wider School of Social Sciences is also the home for departments of Psychology as well as Languages and Intercultural Studies.
The Edinburgh Business School is also renowned for research coordinated by the Centres for Logistics & Sustainability; Social & Economic Data Analytics; Networks and Enterprise Excellence; and Employment, Work and the Professions. Our research in business and management benefits from interdisciplinary collaboration both within the School and across other key areas of expertise in the University and beyond, including industry and commerce.
We are seeking to appoint an Assistant Professor in Organisational Behaviour and Human Resource Management. The successful candidate will be required to lead a range of postgraduate teaching, learning and assessment activities across our various delivery modes including our three global campuses, approved learning partners and online. In addition, the successful candidate will support our plans to grow our Executive Education, consultancy and knowledge exchange activities in the areas of Diversity & Inclusion, Sustainable HRM and other related topics.
This role is ideal for an academic who aspires to work in an environment that allows them to combine practical experience with contemporary approaches to management theory to bring the best ideas to their students. The ideal candidate will have a PhD or equivalent, experience of postgraduate teaching and relevant managerial industry experience. Experience with MBA students and online or distance-learning programmes would be an advantage.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Undertake teaching and assessment duties on academic programmes, with a specific focus on supporting the online MBA programme. This may require international travel.
- Contribute to the content, design and delivery of the curriculum, and the quality of teaching and learning, in consultation with colleagues and within the international structures and mechanisms established by the University. Review teaching design and delivery by obtaining and analysing feedback from students and peers.
- Mentor and supervise students, including PhD students, providing effective, well-documented and timely feedback, both formative and summative. Provide pastoral support, recognising when to refer a student for further support. Play a key role in the delivery and support of an excellent student learning and living experience at HWU.
- Develop the level of subject expertise in line with latest development in research, and ensure these developments are reflected in teaching materials and methods.
- Develop and maintain strong links with business and industry, external organisations and the education sector.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in the UK, at other campuses, and with external networks both for the exchange of information, to share learning, and to form relationships for future collaboration.
- Undertake a proactive role in promoting and marketing the University, ensuring the effective recruitment of students and the achievement of recruitment targets. Play a full role in Open Days and other student recruitment events.
- Undertake leadership and administrative tasks associated with programme planning, preparation for examination boards and progression boards, etc, as instructed. Participate in relevant committees.
- Undertake continuous professional development (CPD) and participate in staff development activities.
Education, qualifications & experience:
The successful candidate should have:
- A good undergraduate degree. A postgraduate qualification or a PhD would also be desirable.
- Previous experience of working in an OD/HR role would be desirable.
- Possess sufficient breadth and depth of specialist knowledge in the discipline to provide leadership learning, research, portfolio development and industry engagement.
- Proven track record in engaged scholarship
- Demonstrable capability in engaging and enthusing students at all levels – undergraduate, post graduate and post-experience
- Proven track-record of working in Higher Education
Apply for this position
Please fill out the form below to register interest in this role