Assistant Professor in Operations Management and Logistics
Edinburgh Business School (EBS), the largest Business School in Scotland by student numbers, is part of the School of Social Sciences (SOSS) at Heriot-Watt University. We have staff across three campuses and deliver undergraduate and postgraduate taught and research degrees across a wide range of discipline areas. We also deliver one of UK’s largest online MBA programmes, as well as a number of specialist MSc programmes through a network of Approved Learning Partners. We have a vibrant research culture and an increasing portfolio of research funding across our four research centres.
The successful candidates will join the Operations Management & Logistics (OML) group, which comprises over 40 academics including Professors, Associate Professors, Assistant Professors, Research Associates and PhD students). The OML group leads SOSS’s most successful research centre: the Centre for Logistics & Sustainability. The Centre’s current flagship programme focusses on sustainable road freight and is a collaboration between Cambridge and Heriot-Watt Universities, working with firms in the logistics sectors and public policy making bodies, with a major 5-year grant from EPSRC.
Edinburgh Business School is looking to appoint two Assistant Professors in the area of Operations Management & Logistics. The successful candidates will be required to participate in a broad range of related undergraduate and postgraduate teaching, learning and assessment activities across our various delivery modes including our three campuses and online.
The successful candidates are expected to have a strong background in operational research, data analytics, project management or sustainable supply chain logistics so that the candidate can assume course leadership roles in the teaching, learning, and assessment activities. The post also offers significant opportunities to work closely with the Centre for Logistics & Sustainability.
This role is ideal for an academic who aspires to work in an environment that allows them to combine practical experience with contemporary approaches to both strategic and entrepreneurial applications within organisations. The ideal candidates will have a PhD or equivalent, with an interest in delivering high-quality learning experiences to our students. Experience of working in organisations in the public, private or third sector would also be desirable.
Key duties & responsibilities:
- Deliver innovative teaching of Operations Management & Logistics subjects, including operational research, data analytics, project management and sustainable supply chain logistics at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels
- Contribute to curriculum development in the subject areas, thus ensuring our courses and programmes remain current, relevant, and of the highest academic standard
- Provide flexible, appropriate, and timely support to students using a variety of media
- Prepare and mark assessments as required, and in line with EBS policies and standards
- Act as supervisor and mentor for students completing undergraduate and postgraduate dissertations
- Act as an OML logistics group representative on University committees and working groups
- Ensure research and scholarship activity is aligned to EBS programmes and used to inform and update content
- To undertake other duties as required by the Head of OML group
Education, qualifications & experience
- PhD or equivalent in a relevant subject area
- Demonstrable record of teaching at either post graduate or under graduate level
- Fluent communication skills
- Flexibility and initiative
- Ability to represent EBS both within HWU and to external parties
- Ability to use new technology in teaching
- Willingness and ability to travel to and teach on HWU global campuses on a minimal basis
- Relevant professional qualifications and/or professional body memberships
- Work based experience to draw on to support the strategic aims of the EBS
- Experience in teaching operational research, data analytics, project management or sustainable supply chain logistics
Apply for this position
Please fill out the form below to register interest in this role