Assistant Professor – Digital Marketing
Edinburgh Business School is seeking to recruit an enthusiastic academic with experience of Marketing teaching and research. The successful candidate will be expected to build research over time and will also be expected to develop strong links to colleagues at the Dubai and Malaysia campuses to deliver high quality learning and teaching in Marketing, to contribute to the continued development of the programmes offered to students, and to develop research in association with the Academic Schools in Edinburgh, Dubai and Malaysia. This is a Grade 7 or 8 post, salary from £32,817 to £49.553 depending on experience.
Postholders will be expected to have a broad knowledge of a range of topics within the sphere of Marketing, but we are particularly interested in those candidates who are very cognisant with the theory and practice of all aspects of Digital Marketing and an interest in research activities in those topic area.
The role will be based at the University’s campus in Edinburgh. Programmes will be delivered in English and so fluency in English is essential. An induction programme will be delivered to all new academic staff on Heriot-Watt’s standards and values, and to give practical experience on preparation, delivery and assessment of teaching.
- Undertake teaching and assessment duties on academic programmes. Support colleagues in the Edinburgh Business School and other Schools at Heriot-Watt University in the delivery of courses and other activities to support the delivery of HWU’s aims.
- Develop relevant materials in appropriate formats for the above programmes. Contribute to the content, design and delivery of the curriculum, and the quality of teaching and learning, in consultation with colleagues and within the international structures and mechanisms established by the University. Review teaching design and delivery by obtaining and analysing feedback from students and peers. Support the accreditation processes of professional bodies.
- Mentor and supervise students, including PhD students, providing effective, well documented and timely feedback, both formative and summative. Provide pastoral support, recognising when to refer a student for further support. Play a key role in the delivery and support of an excellent student learning and living experience at HWU.
- Develop the level of subject expertise in line with latest development in research, and ensure these developments are reflected in teaching materials and methods.
- Build and conduct research in one or more of the School’s research areas at internationally competitive levels.
- Develop and maintain strong links with business and industry, external organisations and the education sector.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in the UK, at other campuses, and with external networks both for the exchange of information, to share learning, and to form relationships for future collaboration.
- Undertake a proactive role in promoting and marketing the University, ensuring the effective recruitment of students and the achievement of recruitment targets. Play a full role in Open Days and other student recruitment events.
- Undertake leadership and administrative tasks associated with programme planning, preparation for examination boards and progression boards, etc, as instructed. Participate in relevant committees. Assistant Professors will be expected to undertake additional leadership and management responsibilities.
- Undertake continuous professional development (CPD) and participate in staff development activities.
Please note that this job description is not exhaustive, and the role holder may be required to undertake other relevant duties commensurate with the grading of the post and its general responsibilities. Activities may be subject to amendment over time as the role develops and/or priorities and requirements evolve.
- Masters or equivalent in appropriate discipline.
- Teaching experience
- Experience of reviewing and updating teaching materials
- Clear communicator with good presentation skills, explaining concepts well
- Proven track record of research
- Fluent (verbal and written) in English
- An ability to apply knowledge acquired from research into teaching materials and methods
- Willingness and potential to identify and develop independent /collaborative portfolio of research
- Enjoys being part of a campus, developing the role as the campus grows, willingness to travel overseas if required and willing to take a ‘hands on’ approach from the outset.
- PhD or equivalent in appropriate discipline
- Member of appropriate professional body
- Teaching qualification or in the process of obtaining one
- Teaching experience at undergraduate and postgraduate level
- Experience of maintaining and developing new links with industry
- Research supervision experience
- Successful completion of funded research and/or funded knowledge exchange
Apply for this position
Please fill out the form below to register interest in this role